Thursday, March 8, 2012

Q. I've just split up with my first long-term boyfriend. He said he still loves me, but a relationship isn't right for us at the moment. He's the only person I've ever loved and I feel empty inside. He said he'll come back to me in time and to stay faithful in the meantime. Do I wait for him or do I try to move on?

A. That empty feeling after a break-up is like bereavement. In time the pain lessens but it does take a bit of work rebuilding your life. Be kind to yourself, get out and about, and try to distract yourself from it all. Then start to make plans for your own life that don't involve hanging on to a maybe. Ok, so you may get back together with him, but the chances are slim. So although you can keep this thought in the back of your mind, you need to make the effort to move on and make the life for yourself that you deserve. It sounds as though your ex is trying to make it easier for you, but you already recognise that holding on to this relationship may hurt more in the long run. So save yourself the heartache and get on with your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment