Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Q. I'm happy with my boyfriend but his dad doesn't like me. The rest of his family are friendly, but he's sarcastic towards me, though never openly rude. When we arrive at their house he greets his son but never greets me. I can find no common ground with him, and if we're alone in a room he leaves as quickly as possible. I've raised the issue with my boyfriend but he says he hasn't noticed anything. What should I do?

A. In-laws often cause issues in a relationship, but there are things you can do to help the situation. First, never ask your boyfriend to fight your battle with his father - you'll lose in the end. Second, build strong ties with the friendly members of his family - they'll then stick up for you if there are any talks behind your back. Third, be patient. His father (more often it's the mother) sees you as a threat to his own relationship with his son. Give him time to get used to you being around. Finally ask his father about himself - his work, ambitions, history - and listen with real interest. Nothing brings a person round as fast as flattering curiosity about their life and opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment