Monday, November 8, 2010

Q. My parents divorced when I was a child, and my partner's dad keeps cheating on his mum, who says it's something all women have to go through. I can't sleep for worrying. I trust my partner totally but worry he'll go through the same mid-life crisis our dads did. If I talk to him he'll think I don't trust him, won't he?

A. History doesn't repeat itself. We do. Start thinking like his mum and you're halfway to trouble - men and women tend to do what's expected of them. What his mother believes, along with her acceptance of her husband's infidelity, is their marital history. And your parents made their own unhappy history. You two are making your own unique relationship history. Talk to him - but about ambitions for your future, happy memories of your past together; about love. And keep talking. Mid-life crisis? Even the words sound out of date. Have I mentioned that history doesn't repeat itself? We do.


No comments:

Post a Comment